What makes Millettia pinnata a superior, more sustainable biofuel species?
- Carbon Sequestration. Millettia grows into a large tree with a 10-metre taproot, creating a huge carbon sink
- Resilience. Millettia is resistant to a wide range of adverse climatic conditions: drought, light frost, water logging, moisture stress and salinity
- Tolerance. Millettia does not require prime arable land otherwise used for food production
- Millettia is tolerant of extremely poor soil types and does not require prime arable land otherwise used for food production.
- Water and nutrients. Millettia is a nitrogen fixing leguminous tree that can source water and nutrients deep into in the subsoil
- Carbon credits. Millettia’s carbon-fixing qualities qualify the tree for carbon credits
- Millettia easily surpasses plantation oil yield of other oil crops such as oil palm and jatropha with high oil content per seed (45-50%).
- Long-term yield. The oil yield in a Millettia plantation continues to increase for 15 years
- Long life-span. Millettia has a lifespan of 100 years with a productive oil seed lifespan of 60 years
- Millettia plantations can be managed by smaller/unskilled workforce due to lower crop maintenance and ability to utilise mechanical pruning and harvesting equipment.
- Millettia is a legume therefore minimising irrigation and expensive fertilizer requirements.
- At maturity, Millettia trees regularly produce 800 – 1,000kgs of seed, per tree, every year
- Flexibility. Millettia thrives in temperatures from zero degrees Celsius, right up to 50 degrees Celsius
- Environmental friendly. Intensive Millettia crops sequestrate more than 50 tonnes of CO2 per hectare, per year
Biofuel / Oil Plantation Crop Comparison
|Rainfall requirement per year||1,500-3,000mm||600-2,000||250-2,500mm|
|Plantation Carbon Credits Qualified||No||No||Yes|
|Area managed per plantation worker||10Ha||15Ha||60Ha|
|Trees Planted Per Hectare||156||3033||1852|
|Oil Yield / Ha - 3yrs||4.5||9||10|
|Oil Yield / Ha - 6yrs||11||12||23|
Yields above are based on results from plantations that are professionally managed with high quality plant genetics, correct pre-planting soil cultivation, adequate soil nutrition, proper harvesting techniques and high quality processing equipment.
High Yield Millettia vs Regular Pongamia genetics
|Seeds (Per kg)||Seed Weight (grams)||Oil Content|
|Millettia Pinnata (Hi-Yield Genetics)||400||2.5||60%|
|Indian Pongamia Pinnata||1600-2000||0.5-0.6||35-45%|
High Yield Millettia Pinnata Seed Genetics Our Millettia trees produce larger heavier seed with 400 seeds/Kg as compared to smaller and lighter 1600-2000 seeds/Kg from Pongamia Varieties of Indian / Asian origin. Our larger heaver seed with higher oil content allow our trees to produce 400-500% higher oil production than regular Pongamia.
© Copyright 2008-2013 Millettia Plantations